Public Library Board
The vision of the South Orange Public Library is to be the integral physical and virtual gateway by which our broad and diverse community may access information, congregate to freely exchange ideas, celebrate literacy and cultural growth in a leisurely yet lively atmosphere.
The first meeting regarding establishment of a library in South Orange was held in 1864 in the house of William J. Beebe, a Tea Merchant and First Library Board President. In 1896, the first dedicated library building (now called the Connett Memorial Library) opened, having been built with funds raised a challenge grant on land donated by Eugene Connett. In 1926, by public referendum with a vote of 10 to 1 in favor of municipal support, library ownership was transferred to the Village of South Orange.
The South Orange Public Library Board consists of nine (9)members, one of whom shall be the Village President and one the superintendents of schools – each of whom may, respectively, appoint an alternate to act in their place. Board members are appointed by the Village President with the consent of the Board of Trustees to serve 5-year terms, or the remainder of the unexpired term which is being filled. Terms begin January 1st and end December 31st.
[see NJSA 40:54]
- Hildy Karp, Library Board President
- Jamie Devoogd Saeed, Vice President
- Brian O'Leary, Treasurer, Village President Representative
- Tracy Carroll, Secretary
- Lora Tazewell, School Board Representative
- Marietta Zacker
- Ritu Pancholy
- Emily Brown
- Karen Hartshorn Hilton, Trustee Liaison
To see more about the South Orange Public Library: Click Here