- YOUR GOVERNMENT
- Building Department / Code Enforcement
- Building Department
- Heating and Cooling Equipment
Heating and Cooling Equipment
- All contractors installing new heating equipment must present their Home Improvement Card.
- If a backflow preventer is being installed, the permit form needs a plumbing seal for work up to and including the backflow preventer.
- No Electrical seal is required for replacement of a heating unit.
- No Plumbing seal necessary for gas piping, replacement of heating and A/C units, outside water/sewer line; however contractor must submit Home Improvement Card.
- If an Electrical or Plumbing Contractor submits the application, a seal is always required.
Below is a list of the necessary subcode sections needed for each item of work:
- New AC Unit: Building, Electric, & Plumbing (must be sealed for electric). A survey must also be submitted.
- Replacement of AC Unit / Air Handler Only: Electric & Plumbing (electrical seal required and need home improvement card). A survey must also be submitted.
- Replacement of AC Condensing Unit: Electric Only (electrical seal OR HVAC license required and need home improvement card). A survey must also be submitted.
- Furnace Replacement: (no seal required - need home improvement card)
- No change in fuel type, location, or duct work - Fire & Electric (Chimney certification required)
- No change in location but a change in fuel type - Fire, Plumbing, & Electric (Chimney certification required)
- Change in location: Fire, Plumbing, Electric, & Building (Chimney certification required)
- Replace Boiler: No change in fuel type or location- Fire, Plumbing, & Electric (Chimney certification required)
- Hot Water Heater: Plumbing (Chimney certification required)
- Communications / Low Voltage: If a licensed electrician is doing work, a seal is needed, otherwise no electric seal is required; however we need a copy of the Telecommunications Exemption Card.
- Bonding Certification: Needed on all public pools every 5 years. A licensed contractor is needed to do the certification and the contractor needs required test equipment.
- Annual Pool Inspection: Electric Only- no seal needed unless repairs are made
- Steam Units: Plumbing & Electric- needs seal
- Gas Fireplace: Plumbing, Fire & Building- Home Improvement Card
- Wood Burning Fireplace: Building & Fire- Home Improvement Card
- Radon: Building & Electric- Need Radon Registration & Home Improvement Card
- Chimney Liner: Building, chimney liner diagram, & chimney certification form
- Backflow Preventer: Needs plumbing seal up to and including backflow preventer for lawn sprinkler or irrigation systems. Electric is also needed for the rain sensor and a copy of the irrigation license is needed.
HVAC License vs. Electrical License Guidelines
As of April 1, 2015, the following guidelines apply for the installation of new and/or replacement of HVAC systems:
- All new units require an electrical license, NOT HVAC license.
If there is a proposed REPLACEMENT, the following guidelines apply:
- The unit must be less than 25 tons.
- Max 240 volt SINGLE PHASE.
- The contractor may only run wire from the existing disconnect to the new/replacement unit.
- All low-voltage applicable wiring.
If the proposed replacement does not comply with the above listed criteria, then a licensed electrician must be used.