Peter S. Connor Memorial Swimming Pool
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR 2018 POOL MEMBERS
The South Orange Community Pool will NOT be open Memorial Day Weekend.
Weather issues, both the early spring snow AND the ongoing spring rain, have caused delays in the construction project underway to replace the main pool filter system. This project was planned in order to improve the performance of pool filtration and also to meet requirements mandated in the new 2018 NJ State Bathing Code regulations. We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause resident families.
The updated schedule calls for the pool to be open weekends only, beginning Saturday June 2, 12:00-8:00 pm. Regular season hours will begin June 23rd as follows:
Monday-Friday 12:00-8:00 pm (7:30 pm beginning August 15)
Saturday-Sunday 10:00 am-8:00 pm (7:30 pm beginning August 15)
July 4, 10:00 am-8:00 pm
Labor Day Weekend, 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Updates will be provided on the Village website at www.southorange.org and/or residents can follow us on twitter @SOPooL
Swimming Pool Telephone in-season: (973) 378-7766
Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs: (973) 378-7754, ext. 1
Code-A-Phone (announcements regarding weather closings, etc.): (973) 762-0748
The South Orange community pool is restricted to the use of South Orange Residents who live permanently and continually within the Village and are in possession of their current South Orange Recreation and Cultural Affairs Membership I.D. Badge (see “Membership I.D. Badge”). Other programmed use may be approved by the Board of Trustees and/or the Director of the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
2018 Dates and Hours of Operation
From Memorial Day Weekend through June 17
- Weekends only (including Memorial Day Monday): 12:00-8:00 pm
- Monday through Friday: 12:00-8:00 pm (7:30 closing beginning August 15th)
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 am-8:00 pm (7:30 closing beginning August 15th)
- July 4th: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
- Labor Day Weekend: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Beginning Monday, June 25th, the community pool is open 6:15-8:00 am, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) for Early Bird Swim. A special membership is required for Early Bird Access.
The South Orange community pool offers Swim Lessons for all ages. Group and private lessons are offered. The schedule and registration information are available at the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs and online here in early May.
The South Orange community pool is host to the Dolphins Swim Team (www.southorangedolphins.com). Swim Team practices are held weekday mornings and meets take place in the afternoon. Program details and registration information is available through the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
The community pool shall close immediately upon sight of lightning or sound of thunder and remain closed for a minimum of thirty minutes from the last sight of lightning or sounding of thunder. All pool patrons must leave the pool immediately and seek permanent shelter. Patrons are not allowed to stay on the pool grounds during thunderstorms.
Pool Management reserves the right to close the pool for the entire day or part thereof based on weather conditions.
Any pool not meeting State bacteriological standards shall be closed until such conditions are corrected.
Pool privileges are available to guests of South Orange residents. Guests must be accompanied by a resident when using the pool facilities. Guests are allowed every day of the pool season.
GUEST PASS CARDS can be purchased at the Baird. These cards include five passes at a cost of $40.00 per unit. The Senior Citizen (62 years of age and over) discount rate for a card of five passes is $20.00. Beginning August 15th, units of less than five passes can be purchased at a prorated cost.
Guest Pass Cards will be sold to adults upon presentation of their valid South Orange Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs I.D. Badge (no exceptions). Children (17 years of age and under) may purchase guest passes with a signed letter from their parent or guardian and presentation of their own valid ID Badge. Guest Pass Cards may be purchased at The Baird or by mail using the Community Pool Guest Pass Mail Application.
INDIVIDUAL GUEST PASSES can be purchased at the pool on the day of use. Individual guest pass are available at the pool ONLY at a cost of $10 each. A discounted rate of $5 is available for guests arriving after 5:00 pm.
Guest Passes are valid only for the Season in which they are purchased. They are not transferable and not replaceable if lost or stolen. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED FOR GUEST PASSES.
CHILD CARE I.D. BADGE
A special Recreation I.D. Badge is available to employees hired by South Orange Residents for the care of their children. The employee and terms of employment must meet the following criteria:
- Employment must be on a full time basis (minimum 5 days a week).
- Employee must be 15 years of age or older.
- The employer (resident) must certify that the employee meets the above criteria by completing an “Affidavit for Live-in, Live-out Employees”.
DEEP WATER TEST
Patrons under the age of 16 must pass a Deep Water Test (DWT) to swim in the deep end of the pool (past the lap lanes) and use the Diving Well. A Deep Water Badge (DWB) will be issued upon successful completion of the DWT. The DWB must be displayed on the patron’s bathing suit at all times. Patrons must not allow others to use their DWB or use another patron’s DWB. Violation of these rules will result in patron having their DWB revoked. A $5 fee may be charged for replacement of a patron’s DWB.
GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- No person shall be allowed in the water when a lifeguard is not present.
- Diving will be permitted only in the designated diving areas.
- No swimming during electrical storms.
- Breath holding beyond normal breathing and swimming rhythms is dangerous and prohibited.
- A fifteen (15) year old member may bring a guest or a sibling who is under eleven (11). A member must be eleven (11) years of age or older without an adult and may bring a guest who is age eleven (11) or older.
- All bathers, including babies, must wear bathing suits in the pool.
- Babies must wear approved swim diapers.
- Children using the wading pool must be attended by an adult. All persons, including babies, must wear swim suits in both the main and baby pools.
- Sitting on the pool steps and ladders, or blocking access to same, is not permitted.
- Deck chairs may not be moved from the concrete deck areas. Only one chair per person.
- Bicycles must be kept in the racks provided outside the pool grounds.
- Changing of diapers on the pool deck and grounds is prohibited. Changing areas are provided in the pool house.
- All persons having a communicable disease, open blisters or cuts, sore or inflamed eyes, ears, nose or mouth infections, excessive sunburn or any type of skin disease will be excluded from the pool area. No bandages will be allowed in the water.
- Do not enter the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea or have had any signs or symptoms of a gastrointestinal (stomach) disease in the past seven days.
- Dressing and undressing shall be done only in the locker rooms.
- Media devices with sound must have headphones.
- The Village of South Orange, Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs is not responsible for personal property brought into the facility or stored in lockers.
- All litter, paper and other debris must be placed in designated trash receptacles.
- U.S. Coast Guard approved floatation vests are permitted in the shallow end of the pool provided responsible adult is in the water with child at all times.
- No alcoholic beverages will be permitted in the facility.
- No food or beverages shall be served and/or consumed on pool grounds except in designated areas.
- No glass containers may be brought within the fenced-in portion of the pool area.
- No gum chewing within pool area.
- No smoking inside the facility.
- No vulgarity, wrestling, rowdiness, running, ball playing, gambling or similar activities affecting the safety or comfort of others will be permitted in the pool, the pool deck, the bathhouse or parking lot. Such conduct will result in disciplinary action by the management.
- No animals, except “working” dogs.
- No blowing of horns, any other unnecessary noise, or loitering will be permitted in the pool area.
- No water guns are permitted on pool grounds.
- No balls allowed in or near the pools. Ball playing on the green is allowed at the manager’s discretion, when conditions permit.
- Adult Swims are at the Manager’s discretion based on time of day and bather load. When conducted, they will be called at the top of the hour and last for 15 minutes. During these periods, the shallow end and lap lanes will be reserved for ADULT SWIM (eighteen years of age and above). In addition children 18 months of age or younger may accompany their parents in the main pool at this time.
- Lap lanes are reserved for lap swimming at all times. Patrons may not cross lap lanes when in use.
- Use of the deep end of the main pool beyond the lap lanes is restricted to patrons with a Deep Water Badge.
- Patrons are not allowed within the 4 foot area around the main pool denoted by a painted white line except as follows:
- Red Line – Jumping area (closed at discretion of management)
- Entrance to the water must be made through an approved means only (i.e. steps, ladders, jumping area).
- Use of the Diving Well is restricted to patrons with a Deep Water Badge.
- Use of the 3 meter diving board is restricted to swimmers at least 4 feet tall.
- Only one person is permitted on a diving board at a time.
- Only one bounce on a board is permitted.
- Do not dive until the previous diver has reached the exit ladder.
- Diving and jumping from the side of a board is not permitted.
- Recreational swimming is not permitted in the diving tank.
- Surface diving and underwater swimming are not allowed in the diving tank.
- Only forward facing diving is allowed (no flips, backward jumping or backward diving).
- No goggles are permitted in the diving well.
- Everyone using the Intermediate Pool must enter and leave the water by way of the steps at the shallow end or the ladders.
- Jumping and diving into the pool are strictly prohibited.
- Use of the Wading Pool is restricted to small children.
- Supervision of the child is the responsibility of the person(s) bringing the child into the pool area. A parent/caregiver must remain in the vicinity of the wading pool at all times the child is using this area.
- Babies must wear approved swim diapers.
- A copy of these rules and regulations shall be prominently posted at the pool, and they shall be strictly enforced.
- The Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs, its designated representative, or the Pool Manager, may close or limit the swimming facilities or establish such additional rules and regulations whenever, in the opinion of the aforementioned, such action is deemed necessary or desirable for the protection of the health, safety, or welfare of persons using the facility.
- Any person who violates these rules and regulations shall be subject to immediate ejection from the facility by the Manager or, in his absence, by the Assistant Manager, and his membership shall be subject to revocation or suspension by the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
- If membership of any person or family is obtained by means of a fraudulent statement, such membership may be cancelled without refund.
- Destruction of property may result in suspension or revocation of membership without refund.