Recognizing the increasing number of residents over 60 and the desire to keep long-term residents in our communities, South Orange taking a proactive approach to foster healthy aging and enable residents to age in place.
South Orange joined the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities in June of 2018 and, since 2017, has been engaged in a joint initiative with Maplewood called SOMA Two Towns for All Ages. This age-friendly initiative engages stakeholders to build a community that serves the needs of residents of all ages. To ensure programs and services in our two towns meet these important goals we strive/pledge/commit to:
- Be responsive to the needs of older residents.
- Combine the resources and interests of both towns to build a synergistic relationship that promotes and supports healthy, engaged and vibrant aging.
- Recognize the role older adults play in our communities and their contributions to the fabric of our diverse community.
- Realize that improvements that benefit the older population also benefit the rest of our community.
- Encourage older adults to engage in the conversation and be responsive to their concerns.