South Orange Downtown (SOVCA)
The South Orange Village Center Alliance (SOVCA) DBA South Orange Downtown is the not-for-profit management entity of our village's Special Improvement District. Founded in 1991 as Main Street South Orange, the organization is run by an Executive Director and a volunteer board of directors made up of property owners, business owners, residents and other stakeholders. We are not a part of the South Orange Village government but work closely with elected officials and Village staff as a separate 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
The vision of SOVCA is for South Orange, NJ to be a choice destination where people want to live, work, visit and enjoy. We are committed to strengthening the downtown district as the center of the town. Our work includes improving the economic viability by supporting existing businesses and recruiting new businesses; guiding entrepreneurs; supporting cultural activities that complement existing stores and services; making South Orange Village a cleaner, safer, and more attractive pedestrian-friendly environment; and ensuring there is adequate public parking while preserving the attractive architectural legacy of the downtown area.
SOVCA works in tandem with all other stakeholders to improve the downtown by implementing the Main Street Four-Point Approach, which includes Design, Promotion, Organization, and Economic Development.
South Orange Village Center Board of Directors:
- Catherine Fisher, Business Owner (Chair)
- Amelia Cruz-Holder, Property Owner (Vice-Chair)
- Jonathan Javins, Business Owner (Treasurer)
- Michael Maza, Resident (Secretary)
- Deborah Engel, Property Owner
- Claudine Baptiste, Property Owner
- Courtney Bryan, Resident
- George Constantinou, Business Owner
- Daniel Garcia-Pedrosa, Property Owner
- James Goodger, Business Owner
- Dee Billia, SOPAC Representative
- Matthew Borowick, SHU Representative
- Mark Hartwyk, SO Parking Authority Representative
- Bobby Brown, Village Trustee Representative
- Julie Doran, Deputy Village Administrator
Meetings: Generally held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month in the Municipal Offices, 76 South Orange Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079 in Conference Room 1 at 8:00 a.m. All meetings are open to the public in accordance with the requirements of the “Open Public Meetings Act” (Sunshine Law).
Executive Director: Melissa Hodge
More information can be found at: https://www.southorangedowntown.org/