The Baird - 5 Mead Street (Directions)The Baird is a multi-room recreational facility which houses the offices for the South Orange Village Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs.
Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Indoor facilities at the center include:
• A Theatre
• Pierro Gallery of South Orange
• Senior Social Services Unit
• The Baird Center Preschool
Outdoor facilities adjacent to the Baird Center include:
• Regulation baseball diamond (lighted for night play)
Carter Park is a Neighborhood playground area located on College Place, just off Irvington Avenue.
• Children’s playground area
Chyzowych Field - Off West Parker Avenue, Maplewood (Directions)
• Soccer field/practice area
• Bocce courts
Farrell Field is located on Walton Avenue
• Playground area
Floods Hill – North Ridgewood Road and Mead Street (Directions)
• Winter sports area
• Playground area
Meadowland Park – Adjacent to the Baird Community Center (Directions)
• 4 little league baseball/softball fields (one lighted
for night play)
• Small children’s play area
• Sitting area in the middle of busy South Orange Village
• Playground equipment
Waterlands Park – off Third Street (Directions)
• 3 lighted little league baseball/softball fields, lighted
for night play
• Neighborhood playground
This is one of the few tax supported pools in the state, open free of charge to all Village residents who have valid I.D. Badges. The complex consists of the following:
Olympic Size Pool with attached diving tank. The pool ranges in depth from 3 1/2 ft. to 8 ft.; the diving area is 14 ft. deep. Lap lanes are set up for exercise swimmers.
Intermediate Pool, 30 ft. x 50 ft in size, with a range of depth from 1 1/2 ft. to 3 ft.
Wading Pool, approximately 30 ft. x 30 ft. in size, with a range of depth from 1/2 ft. to 1 1/2 ft.
Snack Bar & Outdoor Picnic Area
Pool Deck Seating is available for approximately 200 people.