COVID-19 Pool Updates
Thank you for your patience as we move forward with our COVID-19 pool reopening plan. We know there has been much anticipation of having a 2020 pool season and we know it would not be summer without having our pool open. While the governor has allowed pools to open effective June 22nd, we will be opening the pool on July 6th for the 2020 season. Anyone that wishes to renew or purchase their recreation membership please please click here.
Opening on July 6th will give us time to prep the facility to comply with the NJ Department of Health’s requirements to ensure our patrons a safe swimming environment. It will also allow sufficient time to hire and train all of our staff as the 2020 pool season will look very different from prior years.
This year we are excited to say we will have a new deck around our main pool, brand new surfacing on all three pools and a fencing around the baby pool. This project, that started prior to the state’s stay at home order and was delayed because of it, will be completed this week.
As part of the guidance for opening, we have made some modifications that you should be aware of to enjoy the pool season:
- The pool capacity will be limited to 300 patrons in the facility at one time. Please see below for our modified pool hours.
- You will have to reserve a time slot in advance of arriving at the pool. Click Here for information on how this will be accomplished.
- Only one time slot can be reserved per day.
- All patrons under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Due to the limitation of people allowed, we will not be allowing guests into the pool facility.
- Upon arrival at the pool, all staff and patrons will be screened for a fever (100.4 or higher) and a symptom check before being allowed to enter the facility.
- Social distancing will have to be observed at all times.
- Face coverings will be required while on the pool grounds with the exception of while in the water.
- To limit congregation around the ladders and steps, patrons will be allowed to enter and exit the pool from the side. To enter the pool from the side one must gently lower themselves into the pool. Jumping in from the side is not permitted.
- There will be no chairs or tables provided. Please be sure to bring your own chair.
- The water fountains will not be accessible. Please bring your own (non-glass) water bottle.
- The bathrooms will have a limited capacity to 2 people in at a time. You must wear shoes into the bathroom. Please be sure to come to the facility ready to swim as the changing areas and lockers will not be accessible.
- There will be only one lap swimmer permitted in each lap lane.
- The diving board will be closed.
- No unapproved flotation devices or toys will be permitted. Coast approved flotation devices are permitted.
- The concession stand will be available and are currently working out their service plan.
Our modified pool hours will be the following:
Monday – Friday
6:15 AM – 8:00 AM - Early bird swim. Early bird pass required. (Main Pool Only)
8:20 AM – 9:40 AM - Patrons over the age of 60 or any individual with a weakened immune system who reserve a time slot are welcome to the pool during this time. (Main Pool Only)
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM - General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM - General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
5:00 PM – 8:00 PM - General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
Saturday and Sunday
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
5:00 PM – 8:00 PM General Swim open to the patrons who reserved their time slot.
*We are allowing 30 minutes between each designated general swim time slot to allow for proper cleaning and a safe transition to the next group of patrons.
We know that these new requirements will change the feel of the South Orange Community Pool but we hope to make the best of our new normal. Over the next couple weeks the department of recreation and cultural affairs will be working on a full and complete list of policies and procedures which once they are completed will be found here on this web page. We will also be diligently training our staff and modifying our facility to ensure it is meeting all of the State DOH requirements .
Safety will be our number on priority as we move forward and we truly thank you for your understanding as the pool will operate in a manner never done before.