Building Department / Code Enforcement
COVID-19 Update - All permits are to be dropped into the box in front of the Village’s offices.
Residents and realtors looking to obtain a CCO or CoH may fill out the applications in the forms section. There is an affidavit attached to the form. We will not be inspecting any properties for CCOs or CoHs until after the State of Emergency is lifted.
We will only be doing inspections for exterior/vacant properties, new homes, new apartments and empty commercial properties. We will also inspect additions with direct access from outside.
No other inspections will be done.
All payments for permits must be mailed.
There will no IN-PERSON CONSULTATIONS.
Please note: if inspector feels that there health may be jeopardy inspection(s) will not take place
We thank you for your cooperation.
The Township of South Orange Village’s Building and Code Enforcement Department is the local municipal enforcing agency which issues construction permits, conducts progress inspections and issues certificates of occupancy in accordance with the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code Act regulations. Construction in South Orange is regulated by various state, county and local laws (codes), chief among these are the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code (UCC) and the South Orange Village Codes of Property Maintenance and Housing Standards.
Based on the intended use, the UCC regulates how structures must be constructed to insure the health, safety and welfare of the public. It provides the means for state-licensed code officials to review plans, issue permits and inspect construction to insure that minimum code standards are met and appropriate building materials are used, thereby reducing potential hazards due to unsafe construction.
Supervised by a state-licensed construction official, some of the responsibilities of the department include:
- Issuing building permits for construction, demolition, remodeling of and repair of structures, upon the approval of applications for same.
- Issuing permits for signs, commercial, air-conditioning, oil burners and oil tanks;
- Performing inspections for and issuing certificates of continued occupancy and certificates of habitability (for rentals);
- Investigating complaints of violations of Village codes and ordinances dealing with building codes;
- Coordinating all regulatory inspections relating to buildings and structures which are not vested in any other department or division. The department makes all building inspections authorized or required by general law or the Building and Property Maintenance code of the Village and enforces the provisions of such laws and ordinances.
The Building and Code Enforcement Department is located in Village Hall. Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Permits are issued each day until 3:00 pm.